Saturday, October 28, 2006

"Good Neighbor" policy?

More from the BBC's excellent website about the Secure Fence Act of 2006, just signed into law by President Bush yesterday:

Both the outgoing President Vicente Fox and the President-elect Felipe Calderon of Mexico are united in condemning the new law, calling it "shameful", and "a grave mistake".

Mexico has will challenge the fence at the United Nations, and two days ago presented a declaration against the policy to the Organization of American States ("OAS"). It is supported by 27 other Latin American and Caribbean nations, but opposed by the U.S.

Isn't it apparent to all but the most absolute of isolationists and similarly minded ostriches how very wrong this law is?

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

From Robert Frost's 1915 poem, "Mending Wall".

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Oct 28, 09:22:00 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home